Dear Citizens of the Brookings-Harbor Community,
As my time serving as interim superintendent draws to a close, I wanted to give you a "state of the schools" report on the progress we have made this past year, and what the near future might be like. To begin with, thank you for the opportunity to serve here - you have a beautiful area, a wonderful community, and a school system with hard-working teachers, support staff, and administrators.
When I arrived, the district had a staff turnover of 35 teachers and administrators from the previous year, and morale was low. The district had a general lack of communication and trust between administration, board, and staff members. However, under the leadership of this board, which includes Board Chair Bruce Raleigh, Vice-Chair Sue Gold, Katherine Johnson, Sue Chambers, and Alice Farmer, we have accomplished the following:
- Provided stability and a large degree of unity and cooperation among all board members;
- Developed an organizational chart that clearly delineates lines of protocol;
- Adopted operating principles for all administrators and board members including acting with integrity, teamwork, open communication, shared decision-making, caring, and loyalty to the organization;
- Instituted formal audit reviews of internal systems of Human Resources, Food Service, Athletics, Proficiency Grading, and Technology, and began implementing the findings;
- Set up a committee for Board Policy review and updating that has brought over 400 policies to the board for adoption;
- Studied the three school campuses for security issues and proposed electronic locking system using employee I.D. cards for restricted access to schools for student safety;
- Created models and guidelines for proper evaluations of teachers and administrators;
- Started a system of instant messaging via text, voice, and email that provides immediate communication to all parents regarding emergencies or school events;
- Completed the building that houses the OPTIONS program for on-line study;
- Began the refurbishing of the warehouse portion of the old district office building to house the Pacific Bridges Alternative Education program;
- Acted responsibly and quickly to address any and all parent or staff concerns;
- Raised the staff morale and created a positive learning environment.
In addition, each school has had many successes over the year, providing opportunities for academic growth for your children along with a strong athletic program. This district is fortunate to have a new permanent superintendent who has many positive experiences in his previous positions, and who has the skills and personality to be a wonderful positive leader in this community. I am confident that 17C will thrive under his leadership. Again, thank you for this opportunity to get to know you and serve the students and staff.