Upcoming No School Days
- Monday, Jan. 16, 2017: Martin Luther King Jr. Day (No School)
- Friday, Jan. 27, 2017: Teacher Work Day (No School) Final day of Semester 1 is Thursday, Jan. 26 and teachers often use this work day for grading.
- Monday, Feb. 20, 2017: Presidents Day (No School)
- Monday, March 20 to Friday, March 24, 2017: Spring Break (No School)
- Monday, May 29, 2017: Memorial Day (No School)
Celebrating School Board Recognition Month
The Brookings-Harbor School District 17C will join the other 196 school districts throughout Oregon to celebrate January as "School Board Recognition Month," Superintendent Sean Gallagher announced Jan. 13, 2017.
"Our school board members spend countless hours of unpaid time working to provide the best possible education for our students," Gallagher said. "They also serve as the corporate board of directors for one of our community's largest employers. Celebrating School Board Recognition Month is one way to say thanks for all they do."
School board members represent their fellow citizens' views and priorities in the complex enterprise of maintaining and running the community's public schools, Gallagher said. They also reinforce the principle of local control over public education, which is an important, highly valued aspect of education in Oregon.
"Too often the efforts of the school board members go unrecognized," Gallagher said.
The school board's main goal is to support student achievement, he added. To achieve that goal, the board focuses on the following needs:
- Creating a vision for what parents and citizens want their school district to become and how to make student achievement the top priority.
- Setting standards for what students must learn and be able to do.
- Assessing whether schools acheive their goals, and whether students are learning.
- Accounting for the outcomes of decisions and by tracking progress and reporting results.
- Aligning the use of the district's human and financial resources.
- Creating a safe and orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach.
- Collaborating to solve common problems and to support common successes.
- Focusing on continuous improvement by questioning, examining, revising, refining and revisiting issues related to student achievement.
"Even though we are making a special effort during January to show appreciation for our school board members, we recognize their contributions reflect a year-round effort on their part. They are dedicated individuals who are committed to improving student achievement and to fighting for the best for all of our students," Gallagher said.
Proclaimation: Gov. Kate Brown Honors School Board Members
School Board seeks new budget committee member
The Brookings-Harbor School District is seeking a volunteer committee member to fill a vacancy on the district's budget committee for 2016-17.
The School Board is looking to appoint the new member this fall. Typically, the commitment includes a series of joint meetings with the school board from January to June. If you are interested, fill out the application and return it to the district office.
Read more about budget committee roles, responsibilities and restrictions, here.
For more information, please contact Dede Corpening, Executive Assistant to Superintendent & School Board, 541-469-7443 ext. 5105.