Here are 5 tasty facts about food service in our schools - Did you know?
1. Kalmiopsis Elementary is a Provision 2 school. This means we serve FREE breakfast and lunch daily to all Kalmiopsis students. Azalea Middle School and Brookings-Harbor High School provide free and reduced meals to students who qualify. Find daily menus.
2. Kalmiopsis Elementary launched a "Breakfast in the Classroom" in Fall 2017. Every day, students have the opportunity to eat a free, simple breakfast after the bell in their classroom, providing them with the nutrition needed to succeed throughout the school day.
3. In the summer, the school district hosts the Summer Food Program, where youth ages 1-18 can eat free breakfast and lunch Monday to Thursday in the Brookings-Harbor High School cafeteria. Adults can dine with their kids for just $2.50 at breakfast and $3.75 at lunch.
4. Recently, our school district applied for and won a grant from the Oregon Department of Education's Child Nutrition Programs! Starting this summer, we will reach even more youth in need in our Brookings-Harbor community and surrounding rural neighborhoods. We are retrofitting a full-size school bus into a meal delivery vehicle and a dining car that will make daily stops in neighborhoods across our community.
5. The Summer Food Program daily salad bar incorporates farm-to-table produce from the school gardens! And, did you know that Kalmiopsis Elementary is a “Monarch School USA” — one of just a handful across the country? This summer, we will host enrichment activities with hands-on opportunities to learn about gardens, food, and nutrition through a partnership with “Ag in the Classroom” for Summer Food Program participants.