Brookings-Harbor School District will provide nearly all basic school supplies for students in grades Kindergarten through 12th grade at Kalmiopsis Elementary, Azalea Middle School, and Brookings-Harbor High School for the 2023-24 academic year.
Families are asked to send their students with the following items:
- Kindergarten-4th Grade: Backpack, Lunch Box, Water Bottle
- 5th-8th Grade: Backpack, Lunch Box, Water Bottle, and 3-Ring Binder
- 9th-12th Grade: Depending on the student’s class schedule, they may be required or recommended to bring additional supplies listed in the syllabus by the teacher. High school students are also expected to bring their school-issued Chromebook and charger, and student planner to school daily.
All other basic supplies such as paper, pencils, crayons, colored pencils, rulers, glue, dry-erase markers, notecards, tissues, and cleaning wipes will be funded through the district budget and distributed to students in classrooms after school starts.
Breakfast and lunch will be provided free of charge for all students K-12 for the 2023-24 school year. If planning to only eat school lunches, the student does not need to bring a lunch box.
Although the schools are providing supplies this year, parents/guardians may want to collect some additional supplies for home use while they are readily available at back-to-school sales and charity distribution events in August and September. For questions, please contact the Brookings-Harbor School District office at 541-469-7443 or [email protected].
High School Fall Athletics & Activities
Reminders for Fall Season Athletics & Activities Participants:
We are getting ready to start practices at Brookings-Harbor High School. The first day of mandatory practice is Monday, August 14, for Fall Season. Fall Athletics include Soccer, Football, Volleyball, Cross Country, and Cheer. Fall Activities include Marching Band and Color Guard. Visit the BHHS Athletics & Activities page.
To participate in fall athletics and activities, you will need:
- Documentation of a current physical by a medical care provider no more than 2 years old.
- Online activity registration completed at FamilyID (now called “Arbiter Sports”) https://www.familyid.com/organizations/brookings-harbor-school-district
- Pay the $85.00 Sports Fee - if you need assistance paying your fee, please see Tina Peters in the high school office.
Once this is done, students receive a “Gold Card” that can be presented to their coach so they know that the student is cleared to participate.
If you have any questions or need to know if your sports physical on file is still current, please email or call Tina Peters at the high school office at 541-469-2108.
Members of the Marching Band and Color Guard, please see this Band Camp Summer Schedule.
Those interested in Cheerleading: Open gym/tryouts for BHHS Cheer will take place on Wednesday, August 2nd at 4 pm, and Monday and Wednesday the following week. Contact Coach Mariah Williams with questions: [email protected]. These sessions will be used to teach cheers, sideline dances, and the basics of stunting and tumbling for the upcoming season.
Middle School Sports
Middle school fall sports practices will start on Aug. 28, unless you are notified by your coach of a later date. Azalea’s fall sports seasons include Cross Country (Sept. 5-Oct. 31), Football (Sept. 6-Nov. 24), Volleyball (Sept. 6-Nov. 24), and Cheer (starts Sept. 19th and meets twice per week throughout the school year).
Azalea Middle School student-athletes must register via FamilyID, pay a $30-$60 fee, and have a current sports physical form completed. You can find information on middle school sports posted here or call Corrie Taylor at the middle school office at 541-469-7427 Option 3.
Student-athletes are required to have a sports physical on file every two years. To learn more about requirements for participation in school athletics and activities or to download a form to take to your own medical provider, see the BHHS Athletics & Activities webpage.
Unfortunately, the local Sports Physical Clinic event previously scheduled for Aug. 9-10 has been canceled due to staffing issues by the provider. Please schedule with your child’s medical provider ASAP to obtain a sports physical to prevent missing out on practices and competitions.
Here are two regional resources to obtain a Sports Physical for your student:
- Curry Medical Center, 500 5th Street, Brookings, OR. Call 541-412-2000. Same-day scheduling is available Monday-Saturday, and Sports Physicals cost $48)
- Coast Community Health is hosting sports physicals at their Port Orford Clinic, 312 Tichenor Ave., Port Orford. Call 541-332-1114 to make an appointment. They will bill insurance, if available, or provide free services for the uninsured.
Bruin Summer Camps Remain!
BHHS teams host summer camps for youth throughout the summer months. Remaining camps for summer 2023 (https://www.brookings.k12.or.us/apps/pages/summer2023):
- Junior Band Camp: Aug. 7-11, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Grades 5-9)
- Middle School VB camp is Aug. 7-9 from 9:00 - 11:30 at BHHS Cost is $40
- High school VB camp is Aug. 10-12 9-4 (with hr for lunch) at BHHS Cost is $175
- Track & Field: Aug. 9-11, 9 a.m. to noon (Grades K-8) $50
- Football: Aug. 8-10, 6-7:30 p.m. (Grades 1-8) $30
Brookings-Harbor School District summer office hours: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 629 Easy St.