The Brookings-Harbor School District joins the other 196 school districts throughout Oregon to celebrate January as “School Board Recognition Month,” Superintendent Sean Gallagher announced at the Jan. 9 regular school board meeting.
“Our school board members spend countless hours of unpaid time working to provide the best possible education for our students,” said district Superintendent Gallagher. “They also serve as the corporate board of directors for one of our community’s largest employers. Celebrating School Board Recognition Month is one way to say thanks for all they do.”
School board members represent their fellow citizens’ views and priorities in the complex enterprise of maintaining and running the community’s public schools. They also reinforce the principle of local control over public education, which is an important, highly valued aspect of education in Oregon.
The school board’s main goal is to support student achievement. To achieve that goal, the board focuses on the following needs:
- Creating a vision for what parents and citizens want their school district to become and how to make student achievement the top priority
- Setting standards for what students must learn and be able to do
- Assessing whether schools achieve their goals, and whether students are learning
- Accounting for the outcomes of decisions and by tracking progress and reporting results
- Aligning the use of the district’s human and financial resources
- Creating a safe and orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach
- Collaborating to solve common problems and to support common successes
- Focusing on continuous improvement by questioning, examining, revising, refining and revisiting issues related to student achievement.
At the January School Board meeting, a proclamation was read in honor of School Board Recognition Month, and the board members were presented with certificates of appreciation and laser-cut wooden ornaments made by Brookings-Harbor High School Students.
Brookings-Harbor School District's current board of directors is: