2021 Summer Enrichment Activities Guide
BHSD Athletics & Activities Camps
- Volleyball Skills Clinic, 2 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 24
- Brookings-Harbor High School gym
- Open to incoming 5th through 8th graders
- Pick up a registration form at the BHHS front office or register on the day of camp (bring insurance card).
- Cost is free for residents of the BHSD enrollment area. $40 for others.
- Bring a water bottle and wear athletic shoes.
- Taught by BHHS coaches and players.
- Brookings-Harbor High School softball is hosting a mini camp for Kindergarten to 8th grade girls.
- 2 to 5 pm Monday, July 20 to Wednesday, July 22, at the BHHS softball field (near the corner of Easy Street and Fern Avenue)
- The first 35 kids to sign up will have no cost thanks to fee waivers provided by the Brookings-Harbor School District’s 2021 summer activity grants. The fee for the camp per person is $150.
- You can sign-up upon arrival at the camp on the first day or call Coach Tony Baron at 541-661-4085.
- Bruins Track and Field Camp for Kindergarten to 8th Graders!
- 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Aug. 12-14 at Elmer Bankus Field (Brookings-Harbor High School Track & Field)
- Free! Sign-ups at the track on the first day. Please bring proof of insurance and a water bottle.
- What to expect: Running games and sprints, hurdles and relays, jumps (long and high), throws (shot put, javelin and disk), and a "Mini Meet" on the last day!
- Questions: Contact Head Coach Jason Fulton at 541-661-4865
- Who: For boys and girls entering Kindergarten through 8th grade!
- What: Soccer camp with BHHS coaches and players
- When: 9 AM to 12 PM August 2-6, 2021
- Where: Meet daily at the Gibney Sports Center, 629 Easy St Brookings
- Cost: Free to the first 100 participants, and $100 per person for additional participants.
- How to register: In-person at the Gibney Sports Center on the first day of camp.
- Information: Contact Coaches Brian Carlson firstname.lastname@example.org or Jess Beaman email@example.com with questions.
- Who: Grades K-8
- What: Basketball clinic: Shooting and ball-handling skills
- Aug. 5-6 for Grades Kindergarten through 4th; and Aug. 26-27 for Grades 5th through 8th
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day (with a 45 minute lunch)
- Where: TBA in one of the school gyms.
- Cost: Free for participants who live in the Brookings-Harbor School District area, thanks to fee waivers provided by the Brookings-Harbor School District’s 2021 summer activity grants. Space limited! Only 20 spots are available per session. The session fee is $125 per child.
- Register: To register your child, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541-813-9303
- Who: Open to 5th through 8th-grade students
- What: Musical arts camp with BHSD's high school, middle school and elementary music teachers.
- When: August 23-27, 2021 (9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday)
- Where: Brookings-Harbor High School and Azalea Middle School
- Cost: Free.This camp is provided free of charge thanks to the Brookings-Harbor School District’s 2021 summer activity grants.
- Activities will include an instrument petting zoo, a percussion workshop, rehearsal and sectionals, color guard, arts and crafts, and outdoor games.
- Register via this Google Form.
- For inquiries, email BHHS music director Corey Tamondong at email@example.com or AMS music director Nick Courtnage at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BHHS BRUINS BAND CAMP
- Who: Students interested in BHHS Bruin Band and Color Guard (incoming 9th through 12 graders)
- What: Bruin Band Camp 2021
- When: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Aug. 16-20
- Where: Brookings-Harbor High School
- Cost: There is no cost to this camp.
- Details: Students will meet in the music hall (auditorium) each morning, and will be given both a lunch and dinner break.
- Registration and information packet.
- Information: Corey Tamondong, Director at email@example.com or(909)728-9692; and Darcie Gutierrez, Color Guard Instructor firstname.lastname@example.org
BRUIN BASEBALL SUMMER CAMP
- Age: Kindergarten - 8th grade
- Date: Monday 6/28 - Friday 7/2
- Location: BHHS Bruin Baseball Field/Gibney Center Times: 10:00am - 11:30am (check-in 9:45 each day)
- Cost: $100 for all 5 days; $20/ day (All costs paid by BHSD summer funds for the first 50 kids!)
- Come work out with the Bruins! We will provide a well-structured and fun experience for all ages K-8 in all areas of the game. The camp will be run by our High School Baseball Coaches and Players with help from volunteer parents.
- Please bring: cleats, gloves, baseball attire, tennis shoes for going inside, catcher’s gear, helmet, and bat. Be sure to bring something to drink as well. We will provide all other necessary equipment. This will be a fun learning experience for all attendees and a great way to meet many of the 2021 State Champion Bruin Baseball team!
- Come learn some new skills and train the way the Bruins do!
- Parents/Guardians must fill out a registration form and waiver before the start of the first day of camp. The paperwork will be available at check-in.
- Questions: Contact Coach Keith Wallin at email@example.com
- July 12-15th 12:00-2:00 pm at Brookings-Harbor High School
- Register: The deadline to sign-up is June 23rd. To register go to www.kenmurczekvolleyballcamps.com/brookings-hs-camp
- Open: to all students in grades 5-8
- Cost: is free for Brookings-Harbor students! If a student is from out of the district then the cost is $89.
- Coaches: OIT coach Ken Murczek and players
- Details: This 4-day clinic will offer a combination of fundamental skill development and competitive gameplay. Bring a water bottle, athletic shoes, and volleyball knee pads if you have them.
- Questions: Please call Vanessa Nidiffer at 541-469-5801
- 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, July 6-22, 2021
- Showcase at 6 p.m. July 23rd
- Open to ages 3-10. Brought to you by the Azalea Middle School Cheer Squad.
- To register, please email registration to firstname.lastname@example.org with child's name, age, shirt size, shorts size, parent/guardian name, parent/guardian phone number and email.
BHSD FEE WAIVERS: Free summer activities for local youth!
Brookings-Harbor School District is partnering with several local youth activities this summer to waive registration fees for participation. The funding for this program comes from a portion of the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) Summer Learning Grant awarded to the district for K-8 enrichment activities.
To qualify to participate at no cost, the child must live within the school district area and be entering Kindergarten through 9th grade in Fall 2021. All fee waivers will be first-come-first-serve for one session of the activity per child while funds are available.
NEW! Wild Rivers Dance Summer Camps
Wild Rivers Conservatory of Dance and Arts will offer August Dance Camps with many spots offered free of charge thanks to a special grant via Brookings-Harbor School District. BHSD is providing funding for various community youth activity access through a portion of the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) Summer Learning Grant for K-8 enrichment activities.
All classes will be held at the Harbor Grange. Participants should bring a reusable water bottle, and wear comfortable clothing for movement, with hair secured off the neck and face. Parents are not allowed to stay during classes. If you have any other questions, please type below and someone will be in touch with you.
Here is the link for SUMMER DANCE CAMP SIGN UPS!! The first 100 Campers get to attend for FREE, so hurry and sign up today! Session options as of July 26, 2021:
- Aug 3-5th, (AGES 3-5) JAZZ CAMP 4:30-5:30pm
- Aug 3-5th, (AGES 6-8) JAZZ CAMP 5:30-6:30pm
- Aug 3-5th, (AGES 9-11) JAZZ CAMP 6:30-7:30pm
- Aug 3-5th, (AGES 12- teen) JAZZ CAMP 7:30-8:30pm
- FULL ((Aug 11-13th, (AGES 3-5) HIP HOP CAMP 4:30-5:30pm))
- FULL ((Aug 11-13th, (AGES 6-8) HIP HOP CAMP 5:30-6:30pm))
- Aug 11-13, (AGES 9-11) HIP HOP CAMP 6:30-7:30pm
- Aug 11-13, (AGES 12-teen) HIP HOP CAMP 7:30-8:30pm
- FULL ((Aug 17-19, (AGES 3-5) BALLET/CREATIVE MOVEMENT CAMP 4:30-5:30 pm))
- FULL ((Aug 17-19, (AGES 6-8) BALLET/LYRICAL CAMP 5:30-6:30pm))
- Aug 17-19, (AGES 9-11) BALLET/LYRICAL CAMP 6:30-7:30pm
- Aug 17-19, (AGES 12-teen) BALLET/LYRICAL CAMP 7:30-8:30pm
- Aug 23-27 (AGES 4-6) WILD RIVERS DANCE MINI COMPANY BOOTCAMP 4-5pm
- Aug 23-27 (AGES 7-11) WILD RIVERS DANCE JUNIOR COMPANY BOOTCAMP 5-6pm
- Aug 23-27 (AGES 12- teen) WILD RIVERS DANCE SENIOR COMPANY BOOTCAMP 6-7pm
Brooking Flying Club Summer Day Camp 2021
UPDATE JULY 23, 2021 - THIS EVENT HAS REACHED CAPACITY AND IS NO LONGER TAKING REGISTRATIONS
Join the Brookings Flying Club for a fun afternoon at the Brookings Airport to Learn about flying and celebrate National Aviation Day.
A youth aviation Summer Day Camp presented by the Brookings Flying Club will take place on Thursday, August 19, 2021, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The day camp is open to 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade students living in the Brookings-Harbor area with an interest in aviation. To pre-register go to: brookingsflyingclub.org and complete the online form. Space is limited to the first 15 to 20 students.
UPDATE JULY 26, 2021 - ALL FEE WAIVERS FOR THIS ACTIVITY HAVE BEEN USED. BROOKINGS POOL CURRENTLY REGISTERING YOUTH FOR FINAL SUMMER SESSION OF SWIM LESSONS.
This summer, there will be no cost for swim lessons for the first 200 children in grades Kindergarten through 8th Grade that sign up for swim lessons at the City of Brookings Municipal Swimming Pool.
The Brookings Pool is located at 1130 Ransom Avenue, Brookings, in Bud Cross Park. This summer the pool plans to be open until August 31. Swim lesson sessions are June 14-25 (full already for public lessons); June 28-July 9; July 12-23; July 26-Aug. 6; and Aug. 9-20. The daily schedule includes swimming lessons from 10 a.m. to noon and 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.
Sign-ups are in-person at the pool front desk. Cost for residents is $55 for each two-week session, or $80 for non-residents. To view the full weekly schedule of pool activities visit the City website or Brookings Pool facebook page. For information contact 541-469-4711 or email@example.com.
2021 JUNIOR GOLF CAMPS COMPLETE!
Salmon Run Golf Course is hosting Junior Summer Camps for youth ages 7 to 18 this summer. The first session is June 21-25 and there are three sessions throughout the summer.
The camp is under the direction of Jim Barnes, PGA teaching professional, with ages 7-12 participating from 2:45 to 4 p.m. and ages 13-18 from 4 to 5:15 p.m. Each session consists of 4 days of lessons and one final day of golfing on the course. There is a maximum of 20 golfers per session and the fee is $50 per session or $140 for 3 sessions.
For more information, see https://www.salmonrungolf.com/golf/junior-golf.
Sign-up is online:
Brookings-Harbor High School Summer School/Credit Recovery Program
Any students who would like to continue working on their Edgenuity classes for credit must sign up for summer school by June 14th. To sign up for Online Summer School, please email Ms. Nigh at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541-469-2108.
Academic classes will be offered via Edgenuity from June 14-July 22. Teacher support will be available Monday-Thursday by appointment.
If you do not sign up for summer school, your Edgenuity classes will be evaluated on June 11th and your final grade entered into PowerSchool. Email me if you have any questions or concerns.
Brookings-Harbor School District Summer Enrichment Activities and Summer Classes
8th to 11th-grade opportunities View flyer.
Dear Bruins and Bruin Families,
Brookings-Harbor High School is excited to announce these summer electives as an opportunity for continued learning this summer at no cost to you. 8th-11th grade students have a rare opportunity to earn additional credits by taking a class over the summer. This will allow you to make room for electives next fall or to shorten your senior schedule.
Community Art Class
June 14th – July 1st, Monday-Thursday, 8:15-11:15am AND/OR 11:45am-2:45pm
This summer art-making opportunity will center around painting a mural in the student commons area. The mural will be a panoramic, brightly colored landscape image of our oceanfront from McVay Beach to Harris Beach. Students will work as a team to fill in the large “paint by numbers” sections with the appropriate colors. Artistic skills are a plus, but not required. We will find a creative task to fit your artistic skill-set! COVID safety precautions will be maintained by students & staff. The course may be taken for fine arts elective, community service hours, or to meet junior EA project requirements.
Gardening Summer Class
June 14th - July 1st AND/OR July 6th – July 22nd, Monday-Thursday, 8:15-11:15am AND/OR 11:45am-2:45pm
Gardening class will inform and educate students about various techniques that will assist students in their ability to grow produce on a large scale, using organic methods and materials; to learn to identify and resolve common problems/challenges associated with gardening/farming including, but not limited to, pest and disease identification and remedying, use of common natural deterrents or attractants, and determining how best to grow specific plants in the perspective environment.The course may be taken for fine arts elective, community service hours, or to meet junior EA project requirements
Strength & Conditioning Class
June 14th - August 5th Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday 4:30-6:30pm
Strength and Conditioning class is designed to give students the opportunity to learn fitness concepts and conditioning techniques used for obtaining optimal physical fitness and prepare athletes for their upcoming sports seasons. Students will benefit from comprehensive weight training and cardiorespiratory endurance activities. Students will learn basic fundamentals of strength training and conditioning with the focus on safety and proper technique. The course may be taken for general elective credit.
Please email Holly Battleson, counselor, (HollyB@brookings.k12.or.us) to sign up for these exciting summer learning opportunities.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Shaun Bavaro, Summer School Coordinator for Brookings-Harbor High School
- Increase academic skills in reading, writing, and math
- Broaden interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Develop skills in math through quilting
- Junior Band Camp 2021 is in the planning stages for August 23rd-27th. This opportunity is for Beginning Band (incoming 5th and 6th graders) and Intermediate Band (incoming 7th and 8th graders).
- Session 1 is June 14 to July 1
- Session 2 is July 5-July 22
- Reader's Theater/Music
- Learning for Reading/Social-Emotional Learning
- Session 1 (5th): Famous artists with lessons, projects, PE
- Session 2 (4th): Famous artists with lessons, projects, PE
- Session 1 is June 21 to July 1
- Session 2 is July 6-July 15
- Social skills
- Fine motor skills
- Reading readiness
- Math activities
- Mondays through Thursdays for two weeks Aug. 9-19
- AM group from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.; PM group from 12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Summer Food Program Information
Información en Español - Brookings-Harbor, Oregon
Some of these activities have a cost or registration fee. Brookings-Harbor School District does not organize these activities and is not responsible for their content or any updates or changes to their offerings. Please see the community organization's website or contact for additional details.
- Manley Art Center Children's Art Program mixed media art class for ages 8-12. Class instructor is Chaney Delaire. July 12,19, and 26 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Manley Art Center, 433 Oak St. Cost: $35 for non members, 10% discount for PBAA members. Register by contacting Sharon Guy, Children's Art Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30. Questions: email@example.com.
- Chetco Pelican Players series of Summer Youth Acting Workshops! These two-week workshops will be broken into age-specific groups and will take place in July and August. The play is "Fairy Tale TV." Sign ups for Summer Youth Acting Workshops will take place on June 15th and 16th at the Chetco Playhouse, 1240 Chetco Ave., Brookings from 5:00 to 6:30pm. Student membership fees are $10; scholarships are available upon request. Info: Director Ariel Farris 541-661-6017.
- Basketball http://www.brookingsyouthactivities.com/home.php
- Soccer https://www.bhsoccer.info/
- T-Ball/Baseball http://www.brookingsharborlittleleague.org/
- Scouting https://beascout.scouting.org/
- Curry County 4H: https://extension.oregonstate.edu/4h/curry
- Pelican Bay Arts Association/Manley Arts Center https://manleyartcenter.com/
- Creative Juice Crafts http://www.creativejuicecrafts.com/
- Wright’s Custom Framing and Art Supplies https://www.Wrightsframe.com/
- Dance classes: http://www.wildriversdanceandarts.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/BrookingsBallet
- Brookings Nazarene MEGA Kidz Camp "Journey to the Hall of Fame" 7/12/21-7/16/21 5:30 to 8 p.m.
- First Baptist Community Church "Journey With Jesus" 7/19/21-7/23/21 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Trinity Lutheran Church "Destination Dig" 7/5/21-7/9/21 9 to 11:30 a.m.
- Christian Community Church "Concrete & Cranes" VBS, 1 to 4 p.m. July 26-30, 15138 McVay Lane, in Harbor. Bible stories, crafts and singing. Information: 541-661-0859.
- Safety City is available for both incoming kindergarten and first graders this year because last year’s incoming kindergarteners missed out. See the sign-up packet here.
Del Norte Area
- Read and download the pdf guide to activites in Del Norte County, California here: wildriverscf.org/Portals/1/Uploads/Documents/SBD2021.pdf