2021 Summer Enrichment Activities Guide
Brookings-Harbor High School Summer School/Credit Recovery Program
Any students who would like to continue working on their Edgenuity classes for credit must sign up for summer school by June 14th. To sign up for Online Summer School, please email Ms. Nigh at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 541-469-2108.
Academic classes will be offered via Edgenuity from June 14-July 22. Teacher support will be available Monday-Thursday by appointment.
If you do not sign up for summer school, your Edgenuity classes will be evaluated on June 11th and your final grade entered into PowerSchool. Email me if you have any questions or concerns.
Brookings-Harbor School District Summer Enrichment Activities and Summer Classes
8th to 11th-grade opportunities View flyer.
Dear Bruins and Bruin Families,
Brookings-Harbor High School is excited to announce these summer electives as an opportunity for continued learning this summer at no cost to you. 8th-11th grade students have a rare opportunity to earn additional credits by taking a class over the summer. This will allow you to make room for electives next fall or to shorten your senior schedule.
Community Art Class
June 14th – July 1st, Monday-Thursday, 8:15-11:15am AND/OR 11:45am-2:45pm
This summer art-making opportunity will center around painting a mural in the student commons area. The mural will be a panoramic, brightly colored landscape image of our oceanfront from McVay Beach to Harris Beach. Students will work as a team to fill in the large “paint by numbers” sections with the appropriate colors. Artistic skills are a plus, but not required. We will find a creative task to fit your artistic skill-set! COVID safety precautions will be maintained by students & staff. The course may be taken for fine arts elective, community service hours, or to meet junior EA project requirements.
Gardening Summer Class
June 14th - July 1st AND/OR July 6th – July 22nd, Monday-Thursday, 8:15-11:15am AND/OR 11:45am-2:45pm
Gardening class will inform and educate students about various techniques that will assist students in their ability to grow produce on a large scale, using organic methods and materials; to learn to identify and resolve common problems/challenges associated with gardening/farming including, but not limited to, pest and disease identification and remedying, use of common natural deterrents or attractants, and determining how best to grow specific plants in the perspective environment.The course may be taken for fine arts elective, community service hours, or to meet junior EA project requirements
Strength & Conditioning Class
June 14th - August 5th Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday 4:30-6:30pm
Strength and Conditioning class is designed to give students the opportunity to learn fitness concepts and conditioning techniques used for obtaining optimal physical fitness and prepare athletes for their upcoming sports seasons. Students will benefit from comprehensive weight training and cardiorespiratory endurance activities. Students will learn basic fundamentals of strength training and conditioning with the focus on safety and proper technique. The course may be taken for general elective credit.
Please email Holly Battleson, counselor, (HollyB@brookings.k12.or.us) to sign up for these exciting summer learning opportunities.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Shaun Bavaro, Summer School Coordinator for Brookings-Harbor High School
- Increase academic skills in reading, writing, and math
- Broaden interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Develop skills in math through quilting
- Session 1 is June 14 to July 1
- Session 2 is July 5-July 22
- Reader's Theater/Music
- Learning for Reading/Social-Emotional Learning
- Session 1 (5th): Famous artists with lessons, projects, PE
- Session 2 (4th): Famous artists with lessons, projects, PE
- Session 1 is June 21 to July 1
- Session 2 is July 6-July 15
- Social skills
- Fine motor skills
- Reading readiness
- Math activities
- Mondays through Thursdays for two weeks Aug. 9-19
- AM group from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.; PM group from 12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
BHSD Athletics & Activities Camps
BRUIN BASEBALL SUMMER CAMP
- Age: Kindergarten - 8th grade
- Date: Monday 6/28 - Friday 7/2
- Location: BHHS Bruin Baseball Field/Gibney Center
- Times: 10:00am - 11:30am (check-in 9:45 each day)
- Cost: $100 for all 5 days; $20/ day (All costs paid by BHSD summer funds for the first 50 kids!)
- Come work out with the Bruins! We will provide a well-structured and fun experience for all ages K-8 in all areas of the game. The camp will be run by our High School Baseball Coaches and Players with help from volunteer parents.
- Please bring: cleats, gloves, baseball attire, tennis shoes for going inside, catcher’s gear, helmet, and bat. Be sure to bring something to drink as well. We will provide all other necessary equipment.
- This will be a fun learning experience for all attendees and a great way to meet many of the 2021 State Champion Bruin Baseball team! Come learn some new skills and train the way the Bruins do!
- Parents/Guardians must fill out a registration form and waiver before the start of the first day of camp. The paperwork will be available at check-in.
- Questions: Contact Coach Keith Wallin at firstname.lastname@example.org
MIDDLE SCHOOL VOLLEYBALL CAMP
- July 12-15th 12:00-2:00 pm at Brookings-Harbor High School
- Register: The deadline to sign-up is June 23rd. To register go to www.kenmurczekvolleyballcamps.com/brookings-hs-camp
- Open: to all students in grades 5-8
- Cost: is free for Brookings-Harbor students! If a student is from out of the district then the cost is $89.
- Coaches: OIT coach Ken Murczek and players
- Details: This 4-day clinic will offer a combination of fundamental skill development and competitive gameplay. Bring a water bottle, athletic shoes, and volleyball knee pads if you have them.
- Questions: Please call Vanessa Nidiffer at 541-469-5801
- Bruin Football Association Summer & Fall Activities
Sign-up now at bruinfa.org for the following:
2021 Summer Flag Football K-8th Grade June 14 - July 21, 2021
2021 Fall Rookie Tackle Football 3rd-6th Grade September 13 - October 30th, 2021
2021 Fall Flag Football, K-2nd Grade September 13 - October 30th, 2021
2021 Bruin Brother Football Camp, K-8th Grade August 9th -12th, 2021. https://clubs.bluesombrero.com/Default.aspx?tabid=800457
- Bruin Band Camp 2021 will be held at Brookings-Harbor High School from August 16th through to August 20th. There is no cost to this camp. High school students will meet in the music hall (auditorium) each morning and will be given both a lunch and dinner break. (See PDF flyer below for more information)
- Junior Band Camp 2021 is in the planning stages for August 23rd-27th. This opportunity is for Beginning Band (incoming 5th and 6th graders) and Intermediate Band (incoming 7th and 8th graders). More information will be posted later this summer.
BHSD FEE WAIVERS: Free summer activities for local youth!
Brookings-Harbor School District is partnering with several local youth activities this summer to waive registration fees for participation. The funding for this program comes from a portion of the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) Summer Learning Grant awarded to the district for K-8 enrichment activities.
To qualify to participate at no cost, the child must live within the school district area and be entering Kindergarten through 9th grade in Fall 2021. All fee waivers will be first-come-first-serve for one session of the activity per child while funds are available.
This summer, there will be no cost for swim lessons for the first 200 children in grades Kindergarten through 8th Grade that sign up for swim lessons at the City of Brookings Municipal Swimming Pool.
The Brookings Pool is located at 1130 Ransom Avenue, Brookings, in Bud Cross Park. This summer the pool plans to be open until August 31. Swim lesson sessions are June 14-25 (full already for public lessons); June 28-July 9; July 12-23; July 26-Aug. 6; and Aug. 9-20. The daily schedule includes swimming lessons from 10 a.m. to noon and 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.
Sign-ups are in-person at the pool front desk. Cost for residents is $55 for each two-week session, or $80 for non-residents. To view the full weekly schedule of pool activities visit the City website or Brookings Pool facebook page. For information contact 541-469-4711 or email@example.com.
Salmon Run Golf Course is hosting Junior Summer Camps for youth ages 7 to 18 this summer. The first session is June 21-25 and there are three sessions throughout the summer.
The camp is under the direction of Jim Barnes, PGA teaching professional, with ages 7-12 participating from 2:45 to 4 p.m. and ages 13-18 from 4 to 5:15 p.m. Each session consists of 4 days of lessons and one final day of golfing on the course. There is a maximum of 20 golfers per session and the fee is $50 per session or $140 for 3 sessions.
For more information, see https://www.salmonrungolf.com/golf/junior-golf.
Sign-up is online:
Save the Date: Youth Aviation Experience
Brookings Harbor Flying Club plans to host a day camp activity for youth on Thursday, August 19, which is National Aviation Day! Up to 15-20 students with an interest in aviation will get a hands-on day at the Airport. More details and registration information for this event will be released later this summer.
Summer Food Program Information
Información en Español - Brookings-Harbor, Oregon
Some of these activities have a cost or registration fee. Brookings-Harbor School District does not organize these activities and is not responsible for their content or any updates or changes to their offerings. Please see the community organization's website or contact for additional details.
- Manley Art Center Children's Art Program mixed media art class for ages 8-12. Class instructor is Chaney Delaire. July 12,19, and 26 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Manley Art Center, 433 Oak St. Cost: $35 for non members, 10% discount for PBAA members. Register by contacting Sharon Guy, Children's Art Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30. Questions: email@example.com.
- Chetco Pelican Players series of Summer Youth Acting Workshops! These two-week workshops will be broken into age-specific groups and will take place in July and August. The play is "Fairy Tale TV." Sign ups for Summer Youth Acting Workshops will take place on June 15th and 16th at the Chetco Playhouse, 1240 Chetco Ave., Brookings from 5:00 to 6:30pm. Student membership fees are $10; scholarships are available upon request. Info: Director Ariel Farris 541-661-6017.
- Basketball http://www.brookingsyouthactivities.com/home.php
- Soccer https://www.bhsoccer.info/
- T-Ball/Baseball http://www.brookingsharborlittleleague.org/
- Scouting https://beascout.scouting.org/
- Curry County 4H: https://extension.oregonstate.edu/4h/curry
- Pelican Bay Arts Association/Manley Arts Center https://manleyartcenter.com/
- Creative Juice Crafts http://www.creativejuicecrafts.com/
- Wright’s Custom Framing and Art Supplies https://www.Wrightsframe.com/
- Dance classes: http://www.wildriversdanceandarts.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/BrookingsBallet
- Brookings Nazarene MEGA Kidz Camp "Journey to the Hall of Fame" 7/12/21-7/16/21 5:30 to 8 p.m.
- First Baptist Community Church "Journey With Jesus" 7/19/21-7/23/21 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Trinity Lutheran Church "Destination Dig" 7/5/21-7/9/21 9 to 11:30 a.m.
- Safety City is available for both incoming kindergarten and first graders this year because last year’s incoming kindergarteners missed out. See the sign-up packet here.
Del Norte Area
- Read and download the pdf guide to activites in Del Norte County, California here: wildriverscf.org/Portals/1/Uploads/Documents/SBD2021.pdf