Hybrid Learning (Back to School 2020-21)
REGISTER for Brookings-Harbor School District Hybrid Option
SCHEDULE INFORMATION for comprehensive distance learning
September 3, 2020
Dear Kalmiopsis Families,
Welcome to the school year 2020-2021. We are so grateful for your grace, support, and patience as we start the new school year. Our staff is dedicated to building student connections, creating meaningful work, and delivering a robust curriculum, whether here at school with us or online. Your family should have received a phone call from a teacher or staff member to schedule a conference with your child’s teacher. During your conference, you will receive information about the 20-21 school year, our curriculum, and pick up a Chromebook if you requested one from us. If you did not, we have additional Chromebooks available, we may just need a few days to get one to you.
In-school attendance will start for Kindergarten through 3rd grade on Friday, September 11, as long as our local county metrics stay within the guidelines for a safe return to school. Your teacher will confirm and share your student’s schedule with you. It is our hope that 4th and 5th grade can join us here at school on Friday, September 18, the state metrics for this last week were within the range to allow for their return. [Update: No in-person start for Grades 4-5 until at least Oct. 2, 2020). We need 2 more additional weeks with a state positivity rate of 5% or less to open on September 18. Fourth (4th) and fifth grade (5th) students will complete distance learning work with their teachers until they are able to return to school in person.
Our online students will begin instruction on Friday, September 11. We are going to utilize an online curriculum, Edgenuity K-5. However, due to the increased demand for online curriculum across the country our vendor is experiencing some delays. Our teachers will be utilizing Google Classroom to assign work for students until Edgenuity is up and running. Please feel free to reach out to either of us if you have any questions.
Helena Chirinian, Principal; and Carol Leonard, Assistant Principal
- School Supplies (binders, pens, pencils)
- Student Schedules and AMS 2020 Planner
2020 Meet and Greet Drive-Through
9:00 - 11:00 AM and 2:00 - 4:00 PM
- 6th Grade: Tuesday, September 8, 2020
- 7th Grade: Wednesday, September 9, 2020
- 8th Grade: Thursday, September 10, 2020
All students will be required to virtually attend their assigned session (AM or PM) and all classes periods 1- 6. The Google Meet codes for these sessions will be in your student packs with your schedules.
Monday, September 14, 2020
Our students will begin comprehensive distance learning on Monday with an A Day schedule (see below). Teachers will be instructing online for each class period.
Nicole Medrano, Principal, and Marco Thorson, Vice Principal
August 28, 2020
Greetings, Bruin families!
This is a year like no other and we are committed to ensuring that our students experience a year filled with meaningful connections, engaging academic challenges, and compassionate support from every educator.
We have been hard at work planning for Distance Learning and are following all health and safety protocols to prepare school for the future return of students. We are excited and ready for a great school year!
There are a few things that need to be done prior to the first day of school by all families. Below is the list of what needs to be accomplished before September 8, 2020.
- ALL returning students--Update and confirm student information through the PowerSchool Online Registration and Parent Portal. This is required and replaces the paper packets we usually ask parents to complete at the start of every school year. Visit https://www.brookings.k12.or.us/ and click the dropdown menu for “Family Resources” to find the “20-21 Online Registration” instructions and links to get started. If you need assistance with the online process, please contact our front offices at (541) 469-2108. Staff can help you over the phone as well as set up individual appointments.
- Drive-Thru Distribution & Mini Conference: Student schedules, textbooks, Chromebooks and school-provided class supplies should be picked up during one of our “drive-thru mini-conference” events at the designated times below. Students will receive a reusable Bruin knapsack containing all of the items they need to work productively this year.
If you have not already indicated that your students need a wi-fi hotspot, please email me (DeanneV@brookings.k12.or.us) with your request. Priority will be given to foster youth, homeless, and low-income families.
- First Day of Classes: Students will follow their individual AM/PM or Academy schedule of classes and the bell schedule every school day beginning with a virtual orientation for each class on September 11th.
We ask families to conduct as much business as possible over the phone and through email, but if you need to come to the campus, please contact our front office to make an appointment.
We are a learning and caring community and are committed to making this school a great one for all. Thank you for your continued flexibility, patience and support!
Respectfully, DeAnne Varitek, Principal
MEAL INFORMATION for comprehensive distance learning